Saturday, 3 August 2013

Pfitzner and Hard Work


There is some music you have to work hard at to get results. Hans Pfitzner’s opera Palestrina is a hard slog.  I have just watched the blu-ray version of the performances at the Bavarian State opera from Munich (Euroarts: 2072524 - Blu-ray, 2013].

On first viewing, there seems to be so much hard work going into this, by a team of very talented and dedicated artists. The acting and singing is first rate and the production is colourful and inventive, without detracting from the basic inherent message of the original.

But for all this, there were long sections where I just tuned out, unable to engage in what seemed like endless note spinning despite some beautifully crafted orchestration.

However, I know there are people that are just crazy about this work so I am determined to keep working at it. Watching the documentary was enlightening. The passionate advocacy from the artistic team was convincing. 

Simone Young is a wonderful conductor (I am looking forward to seeing her conduct Bruckner’s 9th in Sydney this week), whose careful control of what seems a very complex score is evident. I will watch and listen a few more times over coming weeks and perhaps the pieces will all fall into place. I really want to like this work. Perhaps I am looking too much for a late romantic glow of the Strauss, Schreker or Berg type.

1 comment:

  1. Try the 3rd Act first! It gets to the point and the end is quite spiritual.The first Act is very long but the last scene with the spirits of long dead composers and the vision of Palestrina's wife is quite beautiful and accessible.

    ReplyDelete