Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Great Historic Performances for Audiophiles


Recently I’ve made some purchases from Pristine Classical (http://www.pristineclassical.com/). This site specialises in historical recordings which have been restored and enhanced through technology with breathtaking results. Purists may argue that it is intervention in the actual recorded balance of tone and dynamics, but for me the results I have heard allow me to engage in performances which I otherwise would not.
I have listened to Bruno Walter’s Die Walkure Act 1 with Melchior and Lehmann from 1935. The performance now has an amazing bass response which gives it a depth akin to more modern recordings. The process used, renders an amazing clarity of orchestral detail and the voices are vivid. The site also allows you to hear extended samples and offers multiple download options.
Even more amazing is the Furtwangler La Scala Ring Cycle from 1950. This has always been considered as one of the greatest recorded performances, but the poor quality sound has always prevented me from sampling more than a few moments. Listening to the Pristine version is a revelation. What an experience!. I am playing it all the time, in the car, over headphones while walking, on full blast over my lounge room speaker system. If it weren’t for three big reservations, it would be my favourite recorded cycle. These are: 1. Max Lorenz as the Gotterdammerung Siegfried (recorded well past his prime). 2. Small(ish) cuts in Die Walkure Act 2 and Siegfried Act 3 and 3. Kirsten Flagstad (phenomenal) wimps out on a couple of high C’s in Gotterdammerung.
Despite these, I thoroughly recommend this recording. Pristine also offer Furtwangler’s1953 Rome Ring. It has a somewhat better cast and sound but the orchestral playing and overall impact of the performance are not as great.
Other Pristine releases I am listening to at the moment, with equal enthusiasm, are Furtwangler Bruckner and Beethoven 9th Symphonies, both recorded during the war and the (abridged) Rhapsody in Blue with Gershwin and the Paul Whiteman Band (the site also offers an extensive range of Jazz recordings)

No comments:

Post a Comment